After reading this article on leadership, I started exploring what leadership meant for me. As one of the key features of a leader is having a vision. I wondered what really is my vision for the future? I know I want to live in a world where no one lacks food, so perhaps I should start there. This is what I came up.
- I imagine a world where everyone has enough food to eat that fits with their definition of healthy and fresh. Food eaten is locally grown and/or processed and shared within a community.
- I imagine a world where food waste isn’t given away to people who lack food because there are no people without food.
- I imagine a world where no one has diseases caused by the lack of healthy food, with no diabetes, heart disease or deficiency diseases.
- I imagine a world with no foodborne illness.
- I imagine a world where everyone knows how to grow and cook their own food if they want to.
- I imagine a world where everybody knows what goes in their food and they know where their food comes from.
- I imagine a world where certain foods are not good or evil. Food does not have a moral value. Where everyone has the choice to eat healthy or not and no one feels guilty for what they eat and no one feels guilty for their size.
- I imagine a world without diet-culture, fat-shaming and food police. Where eating the occasional cookie or piece of cake is not a guilty pleasure.
- I imagine a world where farmers are fairly compensated for their labor and respected for their expertise.
- I imagine a world where all food workers are respected and acknowledged for their skills and paid a living wage.
- I imagine a world where everyone who wants it has access to a commercial kitchen, and a garden. They also have access to expertise to help them grow and create the food they want to sell.
- I imagine a world where food is currency and so important that everyone wants to know the latest food news.
- I imagine a world where food is front and center of all government policies. That food self-sufficiency and resilience are the guiding forces of policy decisions and cooperation is also a guiding force here.
- I imagine a world where everyone has equal access to land, housing, education, and healthcare.
- I imagine a world without any fear.
- I imagine living free from all prejudice. Where there is no “them” and “us”. It is all “we”.
What’s your vision for the future? Let me know in the comments below and I hope we can work together making out futures come true.